Perkiomen Valley Academic Eligibility
The Perkiomen Valley School District has stated that its primary mission is that of promoting excellence in all areas with academic excellence being of th highest priority. Therefore, it is the intent of this policy to help motivate students to approach their course work in a positive and assertive manner.
- All students must enroll in at least five (5) courses and must maintain a passing average in all courses to be eligible to participate in co-curricular activities.
- A two (2) week probation period will be instituted before the student may participate in the activity. In addition to notifying the student and the activity sponsor (coach), a notice will be sent to the parent.
- The eligibility list will be published on a two week basis. The first will be a probation list, and the next list will be an ineligible list.
- A grade below 60% is considered a failure.
- The grading period will be the semester (for a semester course) and the school year (for full year courses).
- Eligibility will be cumulative from the beginning of a semester (for semester courses) and the school year (for full year courses).
- A student's current average will be determined by the teacher based on factors such as quiz and test grades, class participation, projects, notebooks, and other reasonable measures of achievement or effort. Incomplete grades due to sickness, injury or prolonged excused absence shall not be averaged for eligibility purposes.
- Sudents "trying out" for a sport or activity will not be excluded from "tryouts" for the first two (2) weeks of practice due to ineligibility. However, any student who has been ineligible for four (4) or more weeks prior to tryouts may be excluded at the coach's or sponsor's discretion.
- Special Education students are also subject to this policy unless it is determined by the Special Education teacher and mainstream teacher that the student's failure is a result of the student's disability and evident within the student's IEP.